ENGLISH UG & PG
Overview of the Department
The Department of English is one of the oldest and premier departments of the college started in 1962. It offers General English to all the streams and English literature as a core paper in B. A and M.A programmes. The Department focuses to promote Communication Skills and empower students with relevant skills set in the globalised context. Having been introduced in 1992-93, the PG English Department has completed its Silver Jubilee in 2018-19 and organized a Two Day National Conference on “Skillset through Education” along with the other PG Departments. It is affiliated to Krishna University and is shortly going to become autonomous. At present, the programme is run as per the guidelines of KRU.
Goals and Objectives
- To prepare students to function effectively in the social and other situations in which they may be called upon to use English.
- To expose learners to literatures from different parts of the world so that this in turn would serve as an introduction to varying cultural contexts.
- To introduce students to critical appreciation and train them in analytical skills.
- To motivate students towards Research.
- To equip learners for their present and future academic pursuits, to understand classroom lectures, improve reading skills, make references, participate in classroom discussions, make presentations and develop confidence and practice Soft Skills.
- To develop employability through Fluency in English.
- To cover all the periods of English Literature.
- To understand literary techniques and mode of comprehending a text.
- To emphasize the study of the English language- phonological, linguistic, and pedagogical.
- To take note of the current needs of the students and aim at the development of their communication skills.